Biology and Chemistry Undergrads Among Winners at Research Symposium
March 31, 2017
This past weekend, March 31-April 1, 2017, the VCU LSAMP program participated in the 10th Anniversary VA-NC Alliance Undergraduate Research Symposium entitled "Developing Critical Thinkers, Innovators & Leaders in STEM." The primary purpose of the Alliance is to strengthen access and opportunities for underrepresented minority undergraduates seeking STEM degrees.
The symposium was hosted by Saint Augustine's University in Raleigh NC. Collegiate scholars from all nine of our partnering institutions showcased their outstanding research in both oral and poster presentations. Three of our students presented their research in the poster session with approximately 30 students in total. We are beyond excited and proud to share that our students Eddy Lontchi (chemistry major) and Maria Vera (biology major) received the second and third place awards for their poster presentations!
The symposium was a huge success for our students!! We would like to congratulate them on their hard work and achievements and to share the news with faculty, staff and the student body! Below I have attached a photo of all of our students who attended the conference. Here are their names from Left to Right:
1) Jordan Glisan - Sophomore Mechanical Engineer - presenter
2) Lois Akinola - Senior Chemistry and Forensic Science Major
3) Eddy Lontchi - Senior Chemistry Major - 2nd place winner
4) Maria Vera - Senior Biology Major - 3rd place winner
5) Yasmin John - Freshman Biology Major - attendee
6) Victoria Lopez Del Pino - Chemical and Life Science Engineering - attendee
In the back:
1) Dr. Rosalyn Hobson Hargraves Associate Vice President for Inclusive Excellence, Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Associate Professor of Teaching and Learning - Director of VCU LSAMP
2) Lauren Griggs - Doctoral Candidate, School of Engineering, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering - Program Coordinator of VCU LSAMP